Then THIS came across my feed the NIGHT BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED.
As soon as it ended I thought, "Cute, Bill Gates! I'm pretty sure my students can do it without touching the bucket..... " which led me to a Rube Goldberg type project.
The problem was that I wanted to take advantage of the ALS momentum.... but I have students who haven't built on the scale I was thinking. They've done Legos and K'Nex, etc, but they haven't BUILT WITH TOOLS, and usually the beginning of the year is all about procedures and establishing routines. How was I going to jump in and get these kids designing and building? So, we made a secret pact. We would try, but we would not tell anyone outside of our classroom in case it was an epic fail. We could fail together, but we didn't want to fail publicly.
The first week of school the kids were designing by themselves. We started with the end result, and then worked backwards thinking what would make that move. Then we came together in our groups and created a team suggestion.
Here is L. on the second day of school working on her example.
S. needed two pages and a hill.
Each group then presented and we had two good ideas for the ending. Most of the kids stuck with the Bill Gates idea of a structure holding a bucket, but one group had the idea of a bowling ball falling into a bucket which falls to the ground and then pulls a string and tips the bucket. Another group had a similar idea, so we started at that point. Then we backed up to the previous step to get that to happen. After GREAT discussion (they very politely critiqued each other) they decided they wanted a bowling ball coming down a ramp, Eventually we created this drawing:
Over the next few days we gathered supplies. I bought PVC pipe, and Home Depot was so excited about my idea they gave me a PVC pipe cutter (YAY, a sponsor). I also brought in lots of scrap wood (we had taken down stairs from our back porch so I brought in the runners, and my husband hasn't missed the wood I removed from the back porch or garage yet).
(The view from my classroom widow)
We roped in a Watch Dog volunteer (our dad volunteer group) who is really good at letting the kids take the lead, and really helps facilitate discussions about how to build something, and we got started.
A., the girl with the PVC pipe cutter, has BEASTIE skills at using that thing. She has out cut every boy who has tried!
Here are the kids trying to figure out the best materials for what they want to build. We've had some interesting applications of math in this project. For instance, we have 8 PVC pipes which are 10 feet in length each. How do we optimize our cuts to avoid waste?
P. learning to use a level.
We initially changed the picture at the top (drawn on the board), but the change didn't work, so we've gone back to the original plan..... We are learning that testing is a HUGE part of science/engineering and learning. Below is a video of yesterday's test:
In the classroom, we've researched ALS and are working on an informative commercial. We hope to fundraise next week, and possibly end the week with a finished build, and our Principal getting very wet- although I have a lot of students who volunteer for this as well. We are long past folks posting ALS challenges, but I'll be sure to post ours as soon as we finish. Constructive feedback and questions are welcomed in our comment link.